Service agility enabled by NFV orchestration and actionable intelligence is the key to boosting service revenues through the following characteristics:
- Dynamic and scalable services.
- Shorter development time due to modern development tools and methods.
- Faster deployment time for services.
- Open APIs, facilitating machine-to-machine integration of previously disparate functions or resources.
Virtualization of a service allows us to adapt and change both the service delivery and also the charging models. So, how do we enable construction and deployment of such service innovation built from NFV components? The key is NFV orchestration.
The ETSI NFV ISG MANO specification provides a lot of good material on how NFV orchestration should operate. However, other essential aspects of orchestration include:
- Actionable intelligence based on collection, analysis and correlation of big data from service, virtual and physical layers as well as IT, Cloud and network systems.
- Spanning of the physical and virtual, using standard NFVI and Multi-vendor control.
- Open platform with support from a strong group of vendors.
- Carrier class system built for deployability.
- Lifecycle management of services, including onboarding of virtual network functions and assignment, management, scaling and reclamation of virtual resources.
A proper NFV orchestration system is the glue that cements the vision of NFV into reality.